Friday, July 5, 2013

First couple of days Sugar Free

Sugar Free on the 4th of July....My first challenge

If you would like to continue to follow my work......
My recipes and I can now be found @

I hope to see you there!   
I created a completely SUGAR FREE peach cobbler so I could enjoy a delicious dessert on the 4th of July.
This amazing cobbler features fresh peaches, dried fruits, a touch of stevia and cinnamon and nutmeg.  I topped it off with a whole wheat sweet biscuit that I sweetened with lakanto and stevia.

***Most people HATE the aftertaste of stevia sweetened baked goods.....to be honest SO DO I!  But, you can prevent that completely and I use very specific methods so that the stevia lends ONLY sweetness!

When I first started tinkering with sugar free baking I tested out some stevia only sweetened baked goods and they were....well to be blunt AWEFUL!  I threw the cookbook away, it was completely useless.  In my opinion just because it is sugar free doesn't mean it should taste disgusting.  So I set out to figure out how to make delicious desserts without using any concentrated sugars that taste amazing.  This was my first creation and my dessert loving family gobbled up the whole thing....trust me if my hubby likes it....it is a good dessert.

The ice cream on top was just a simple cinnamon banana ice cream which made this the perfect summer dessert.  Just as a warning though....for those who are afraid of carbs...this is not meant to be low carb nor was it meant to be naturally occuring sugar free....this dessert does contain dried fruits as a means of sweetness.  I will NOT use artificial sweeteners such as sucralose, aspartame, nutrasweet, splenda etc...

On day one it was difficult not to have some toast with peanut butter and honey....I had fallen deeply in the trap of eating honey to sweeten things but it flares up candida as much as anything else.  It was also difficult not to eat a couple peices of my Panda Blueberry Licorice....but I did NOT give in!

I succeeded  on my first day...no desserts, not even anything sweetened with stevia.  The 4th of July was a bit harder though.  It is a day we usually have yummy desserts and eat candy and treats at the fireworks.  I made this beautiful peach cobbler after dinner and that really hit the spot......then I bought some maltitol sweetened chocolate to take to the fireworks and I had two small bites that I completely savored and that was perfect!  I didn't touch any of the other candy!  Normally I would have about exploded if I couldn't taste the treats.....but last night I was calm.    So far so good!  I don't anticipate everyday being this easy but the past couple of days have been okay.

Great 4th of July Celebration


I had to share this adorable picture from the fireworks....my son C holding his cousin J during the Grand Finale!  He needs a little brother......I hope someday we can have a few more little ones running around the house.  He would make an AMAZING big brother!

Anyway, as far as the sugar free peach cobbler recipe goes.....it is going into a collection of recipes that I will be offering.  I am going to be testing out a HUGE PCOS & Thyroid protocol on myself over the next couple of months and when it is finished I will be offering it to others.

I have realized that one of my biggest issues is that I do actually have chronic yeast issues from my  years of sugar laden eating.......It is frustrating to say the least but I am finally at a point where I am ready to just do what needs to be done.

2 days free of sugar......down .2 pounds!

Okay so it isn't a HUGE improvement in 2 days...I wish I could say down 2 pounds....okay I realize that is expecting a bit too much.  I am going to add some herbs to the mix and see if I can get this yeast problem more under control.....I may have to cut out even the dried fruit desserts for awhile but I'm going to experiment and see what  happens.

I also want to point out that I dont' believe sweets in themselves cause weight gain....for me it is that if I eat sugar it ends up that I eat too much because I can't stop eating it.  So avoiding them results in weight loss simply because it removes the tendency to overeat....and sweets also are VERY Calorie dense which also contributes significantly to weight gain.

Well, so far so good on the sugar free front......we'll see what the next few days bring.

No comments: